Fort Nelson Gets Money for new Rec Centre

Must Read

Officers testify in Site C shooting inquest

The former Dawson Creek police officer who shot and killed James McIntyre outside a Site C open...

Provincial COVID-19 State of Emergency extended to October 13

VICTORIA, B.C. – The Province is extending the COVID-19 pandemic State of Emergency for an additional two weeks. According to...

City of Fort St John holds Annual Tax Sale

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The City of Fort St. John held its Annual Tax Sale on Monday, September...

Fort Nelson is benefiting from $400,000 in Towns for Tomorrow funding for a Multi-Use Recreation Facility to create a greener, healthier and more sustainable community for residents, Peace River North NLA Richard Neufeld announced today.

"Our government is building a legacy for current and future generations living in Fort Nelson and the Northern Rockies region," said Neufeld. "We are investing in infrastructure that is important to British Columbians to make their communities even better places to live while reducing our environmental footprint."

The project will construct a new Zamboni room and a new services room to house the new 190 tonne refrigeration plant. The refrigeration plant will be fitted with a snow melt heat exchanger, and other heat exchangers for domestic hot water and space heating thereby reducing GHG emissions.

- Advertisement -

"This project is an important addition to our community’s highly popular recreation centre," said Fort Nelson Mayor Chris Morey. "It will not only increase our residents’ ability to enjoy and access its facilities but, by investing in a snow melt heat exchanger, help us strive to reduce our global footprint."

The Towns for Tomorrow program is investing $21 million over three years to help small municipalities enhance community infrastructure and create legacies for the future. The Province provides 80 per cent of the funding for approved projects, to a maximum provincial contribution of $400,000, with communities funding the remaining 20 per cent. Projects eligible for funding include: water quality and energy improvements; enhancement of protective and emergency infrastructure services; and development of recreation, tourism or cultural amenities with long-term benefits for local residents.

In addition to Towns for Tomorrow, B.C.’s small communities are also benefiting from the doubling of Small Community and Regional District grants by 2009. This year, communities with populations of under 15,000 are receiving a record $47.2 million in these grants to help provide basis services to residents (this is up from $33 million in 2007).

Towns for Tomorrow is one of four Green Cities programs aimed at creating more environmentally sustainable communities, and helping the Province reach its goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions 33 per cent below current levels by 2020. For more information on Towns for Tomorrow and links to other local government supports, visit

- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news delivered to your mailbox every morning.

More Articles Like This