The Fort St. John Fire Department has confirmed two small fires in the city last night.
The first, at a little after 9 o’clock last night, took place in the new hotel under construction next to the Super 8 hotel, in the 9500 block of Alaska road.
Chief Burrows says no-one was in the structure at the time of the fire, which was likely started by some Herman Nelson heaters running next to some wood ducting.
Community Interviews with Moose FM
Burrows says the fire consumed the ducting, as well as some foundation forms and plastic shrouding, before the department brought it under control.
The second fire, at about 2:45 this morning, struck a Hog Fuel pile at the Canfor SawMill. In this case, Chief Burrows says Spontaneous combustion is the likely culprit.
In this case, it took the department about an hour to douse the blaze.