-12.8 C
Fort St. John
Thursday, January 24, 2019
9924 101 ave Fort St. John, B.C.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Home News Fire centre says campfire ban still in effect

Fire centre says campfire ban still in effect

Advertisement

The Prince George Fire Centre is still putting out campfires, even though there is an open fire ban in place.

Fire Information Officer Jillian Chimko says the while there hasn’t been many recent wildfire starts; the risk is still very high.

She recommends campers use charcoal and gas grills throughout the weekend.

- Advertisement -

[asset|aid=1690|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=211cb92434abb44a46e0b84c6d281c0a-Chimko- campfires 1_1_Pub.mp3]

The ban was initiated on Friday the 24th, and remains in place until further notice. If a wildfire is started, the person(s) responsible will foot the costs to put the fire out.

The ban is in place to limit the amount of human-caused wildfires in the region.

Meanwhile, the Smith/Liard wildfire continues to burn. It remains at 230 square kilometres in size

Chimko with an update…

[asset|aid=1691|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=211cb92434abb44a46e0b84c6d281c0a-Chimko- liard fire 1_2_Pub.mp3]

Chimko says there have been a couple of small fires started from lightning strikes, but so far, there are no large wildfires to report.

get the latest news in your inbox

Author

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Local Events

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Must Read

Rosenberger speaks about Immigration at Chamber of Commerce Luncheon

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The Fort St. John Chamber of Commerce held a luncheon on January 22 focusing on Immigration for B.C.’s Future.The...