It’s that time of year again, where students across the Peace Region strap on their backpacks and head out for another year of school.
Officials from the School District 60 are also getting prepared for the next two semesters.
Superintendent Larry Espe says the district is putting the finishing touches on its reconfiguration plan.
Grade 7 students within Fort St. John’s elementary schools will be moved to either Dr. Kearny or Bert Bowes. Grade 10 students from those two schools will then move to the North Peace Senior Secondary School.
This move will create space in the over-crowded elementary schools as well as enable all students in the Graduation Program to be in the same building. The in-town configuration would then be K-6, 7-9 and 10-12.
This change will be happening in September 2010.
Espe says the district is predicting similar enrollment numbers to last years.
Earlier this year, a proposal was brought forward to relocate up to 250 secondary students to the Enerplex. The proposal was then submitted as part of a capital plan on May 15th to the Ministry of Education.
Espe says the district continues to investigate that option.
He says the district should have an indication if it will go ahead with the idea in the early spring. Meanwhile, the province announced earlier this week that there will be cuts to school maintenance funds and a grant for the organization that oversees high school sports.
Now, the provincial budget was released on Tuesday, and while it’s too early to say how much cuts will affect the School District 60, Espe remains hopeful.
He says the district’s budget is balanced, although some programs will be reviewed in the upcoming months.
For more information on class starts, visit www.prn.bc.ca
The first board meeting of the school year is on September 14th.