With Christmas just one week away, an organization in Fort St. John is scrambling to make the holiday’s a bit brighter for two local families.
Every year, Big Brothers and Big Sisters receive referrals from local schools, for families who need help during the holiday season. Local companies then arrange to sponsor a family and raise money to purchase gifts.
Danielle Armstrong is the Executive Director for the local Big Brothers and Big Sisters.
She says one company has backed out of sponsorship, leaving two families without the support they are depending on.
Armstrong says the group needs to collect gifts by noon on Friday, December 18th. Donations can be dropped off at the office on 9915 – 104th Street, or the group will come pick them up.
Gift ideas range from sketching pads to a "Mouse Trap" board game.
Armstrong also says that in addition to toys, both families could use gift certificates to local grocery stores.
Below is a list of ideas for each child:
15 year old girl
– wears Ladies size 8 in clothing (large)
– shoe size is an 8 or 8.5.
– needs new winter boots and gloves.
– Likes to draw and read Japanese anime books (i.e. Naruto).
– Would like clothes, a sketch pad and good drawing tools.
14 year old girl
– wears Ladies size 6 clothing (medium)
– shoe size is a 7 or 7.5.
– needs winter boots and gloves and especially needs new pants (i.e. jeans).
– enjoys reading vampire books such as “Night World”.
– would like a new pair of ear buds for MP3 player, a crafting kit, jewelry making kit or hair accessories.
12 year old boy
– wears a boy’s size 12 or (large – x-large)
– shoe size is a 6 or 6.5.
– needs new winter boots and gloves and could also use a new pair of snow pants.
– loves everything about video games, that includes magazines, toys etc.
– would like K’Nex, Bionicles, Lego building kits or ‘Bones’ books from the Coles (Volume 6 and up).
15 year old boy
– wears a men’s medium shirt, size 29 jeans and he takes a size 10.5- 11 in shoes.
– interested in music and reading.
– would really like a digital camera, new hoodies or any type of clothes.
11 year old girl
– wears girl’s large shirts and a size 12 pants with adjustable waistband or a belt (or size 24 women’s).
– wears size 6 shoes
– enjoys listening to music, doing arts and crafts and playing video games (Wii).
– really wants a digital camera and would love new clothes.
7 year old boy
– wears boy’s size 8 clothes and takes a size 5 in shoes.
– needs a new winter coat and snow pants
– needs extra clothes.
– enjoys Lego and video games (Wii).
– really would like a “Mouse Trap” board game.
– This boy received a Nintendo DS last year (which he still has games for). However, it was stolen and he was devastated about it – he would love even a second hand one.
For more information contact Danielle Armstrong at Big Brothers and Big Sisters at 250-787-9674.