By Christine Rumleskie
The fences surrounding the Fort Hotel property on 100th street will remain until at least September.
Fort St. John Mayor Bruce Lantz made the announcement on Moose FM’s Issues and Answers on Wednesday morning.
He says the city doesn’t want to risk spending upwards of $200,000 for the cleanup, only for the owner to reclaim the 100th Avenue property.
After the historic Fort Hotel burnt down last year, the City purchased the property for $72,000 through a tax-sale in September. However, the purchase is not yet finalized, as the original owner has exactly 12 months to buy the property back from the city.
Since the city has no way of reclaiming the money back, should it invest in the cleanup, it will wait until the sale is finalized to remove the debris.
Mayor Bruce Lantz says the property will likely remain vacant for another year before any development takes place. But Lantz says the property has been generating interest.
[asset|aid=2446|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=2e7ba6e915f322a011599c4aca4969f6-Lantz – Fort Hotel 1_1_Pub.mp3]
He says the city will apply for a Brownfield Grant, and will use that money towards the cleanup of the property.