A fire alarm was activated, Thursday, after people at the hospital smelled something burning in an operating room.
Captain Greg Nicoll with the Fort St. John Fire Department says the fire department responded to a call about a burning smell coming from one of the operating rooms at the Fort St. John Hospital and was on scene within two to three minutes.
He says firefighters searched the building to try and determine the smell’s cause. They believe it may have something to do with the electrical system.
Community Interviews with Moose FM
The hospital maintenance crew has been notified and Nicoll credits the hospital staff for being prepared by having emergency procedures in place.
[asset|aid=2978|format=mp3player|formatter=asset_bonus|title=be0e028a508ef02ca0fe2ab79adfb18b-Nicoll Clip 1_1_Pub.mp3]
If the fire alarm is activated, the air flow system is automatically isolated so that any smells or toxic gases that may accompany the smell do not spread throughout the rest of the hospital.