An 18 year-old woman has sustained minor injuries after an ATV accident at Charlie Lake.
Police say the woman was riding along Welch Road at the north end of the lake – near Mile 62 ½ of the Alaska Highway – at around 11 p.m. when she came around a corner and lost control of the vehicle, hitting a lightpost.
The woman only suffered a concussion which police attribute to the fact that she was wearing a CSA approved helmet.
After a number of recent ATV accidents police from the Fort St. John RCMP detachment sent out a release on Friday detailing ATV safety.
Some of the recommendations outlined are:
· Wear bright coloured clothing to be more visible to traffic and to wear a helmet
· Carry a first-aid and vehicle repair kit whenever out riding
· Never carry a passenger unless the vehicle is equipped to do so
· Always tell someone where you are going and when you should be expected to return
· Never let someone under the age of 16 ride an ATV without parental supervision
· Know the area where you are riding
On July 14, two youth suffered minor injuries when the ATV they were riding on rolled over on them.