Police were called to the scene just after Midnight on Saturday, where a pickup truck collided with a car carrying the five teens. The collision occured on Highway 668, about two kilometers east of Highway 40. The driver of the pickup fled the scene but was later taken into custody by RCMP.
Brendan Holubowich, 21, has been charged with the following:
- Four counts of Impaired Driving Causing Death
- Four counts of Operate Motor Vehicle Over .08 Causing Death
- One count of Impaired Driving Causing Bodily Harm
- One count of Operate Motor Vehicle Over .08 Causing Bodily Harm
- One count of Fail to Remain at Accident Scene
A Judicial Interim Release Hearing was held early Sunday morning at 1:40 a.m., at which time Holubowich was released on cash bail with numerous conditions. His first court appearance is scheduled for Monday October 31 at 9:00 a.m. at Grande Prairie Provincial Court House.
The Saturday morning collision south of Grande Prairie killed four students from Grande Prairie Composite high school: Matthew Deller, 16; Vincent Stover, 16; Walter Borden-Wilkens, 15; and Tanner Hildebrand, 15. Zak Judd, 15, is in critical, but stable, condition in an Edmonton hospital.
The five teens were teammates on the school’s football team, the Warriors.