Wolverines double up on Huskies

Must Read

Wilkinson aims to be B.C. premier after cabinet role, working as doctor and lawyer

VANCOUVER — Former cabinet colleague Bill Bennett warns anyone verbally sparring with B.C. Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson to be...

A QuickSketch of British Columbia Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson

A sketch of Andrew Wilkinson, leader of British Columbia's Liberal party:  Age: 63.   Family: Married to Barbara Grantham. They have...

Dan Davies officially kicks-off reelection campaign

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - Incumbent Peace River North MLA Dan Davies officially kicked-off his re-election campaign on Friday...

It was a unique evening at the North Peace Arena, as the stands were filled with a variety of different hockey jerseys, as Saturday was the Huskies “Fill the Stands” night, where minor league players from around the region got free entrance for sporting their teams’ jersey.

It was also a different look on the Huskies bench, as a number of the roster’s regulars were absent from Saturday’s game. As a result, a number of Fort St. John Tracker Flyers had their first taste of NWJHL action.

The Huskies seemed determined to impress a larger-than-usual crowd, and opened the scoring only 3:40 into the game. Shawn Holliday scored the game’s first goal for the Huskies, with Tracker Flyer call-up Jordan Harder earning his first NWJHL point with an assist, the other going to Taylor Greatrex.

- Advertisement -

Although the lead wouldn’t last, as Whitecourt tied the game roughly four minutes after Holliday’s opening goal.

Harder would impact the game once again, as he scored the go-ahead goal, his first as a Husky, after a nice pass from Robbie Sidhu while the two were on a two-on-one. The second assist went to Shawn Holliday, who made a nice breakout pass to Sidhu.

With the Huskies leading 2-1, the team found themselves killing a penalty, which proved to be costly, as Whitecourt would tie the game with the man-advantage.

With the Huskies and Wolverines tied at 2-2, the second period only provided a single goal, which unfortunately, was scored on the Huskies. It was once again the Whitecourt power-play that would strike, giving the Wolverines a 3-2 edge entering the third.

The third period began the same way the first did, with the Huskies scoring quickly. Entering the period on the power-play, it only took Huskies’ Tyler Bestward 29 seconds to tie the game at 3-3.

Much to the dismay of the home crowd, the tie game only lasted roughly 2 minutes, as the Wolverines would score the game-winning-goal goal at the 2:19 marker of the third, which at the time brought the score to 4-3.

Despite it only being a one goal game for the majority of the third, the Huskies were unable to slip another past Wolverines goalie Braeden Johnson, who made 25 saves for the road victory.


Whitecourt would add two empty netters at the conclusion of the third, with the final score reading 6-3 in favour of the Wolverines.

It was a busy night in net for Huskies goaltender Ty Gullickson, who made 35 saves in the losing effort.

After splitting the weekend with one win and one loss, the Huskies will next hit the ice Friday, Jan.27, when they will play the Blades in Beaverlodge.    

- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news delivered to your mailbox every morning.

More Articles Like This