Flyers tame Mustangs with second straight road win

Must Read

RCMP looking for Susanne Rotmeyer

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The Fort St. John RCMP are trying to locate Susanne Rotmeyer to...

Wilkinson aims to be B.C. premier after cabinet role, working as doctor and lawyer

VANCOUVER — Former cabinet colleague Bill Bennett warns anyone verbally sparring with B.C. Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson to be...

A QuickSketch of British Columbia Liberal Leader Andrew Wilkinson

A sketch of Andrew Wilkinson, leader of British Columbia's Liberal party:  Age: 63.   Family: Married to Barbara Grantham. They have...

The game began with Hythe breaking the zeros on the scoreboard, scoring the game’s first goal 7:53 into the first period. However, Fort St. John responded quickly, evening the score at 1-1 thanks to a Girard Dicaire power-play goal at 9:27.

The Flyers took their first lead of the game with 2:52 left in the first, as captain Dave Alexander scored to conclude the period with the scoreboard reading 2-1 in favour of Fort St. John.

The Senior Flyers coaching staff must have stressed offence during the first intermission, as Fort St. John scored five goals in the second period, compared to just one by the home team.

- Advertisement -

The offensive snowball got its downhill push from defenceman Luke Middleton, who scored back-to-back even-strength goals at 8:51 and 10:35 of the second period.

With the scoreboard reading 4-1 for the Flyers, the four became a five thanks to Mike Lalonde, who scored with just under five minutes remaining in the second frame.

It was an eventful final four minutes of the second, as Hythe scored their second of the game with 3:23 remaining, bringing the score to 5-2. However, Fort St. John squashed any momentum the Mustangs' second goal provided, as assistant captain Todd Alexander scored a short-handed marker with 1:21 left, followed by a Paul Wiens even-strength goal with 35 seconds remaining in the second, wrapping up the second period with the Flyers leading 7-2.

Both teams managed to score twice in the final period, with Mike Lalonde scoring both for Fort St. John, one of which with the man-advantage, completing a hat-trick on the evening for Lalonde, who finished the game with three goals and a single assist. Flyers D-man Luke Middleton also managed to earn himself a four point game, scoring twice and adding two assists, with numerous other Flyers earning multi-point games as well.

A one becomes a two in the win column for starting goalie Troy Hunt, who only had to face 11 shots to secure the team’s second victory.

The win snaps a two game losing streak in Hythe for the Flyers and marks the second straight win for the local NPHL team, who will put that streak to the test Friday, when they host their first home game of the season, welcoming long-time rivals, the Dawson Creek Canucks, to the North Peace Arena.

Friday evening’s game begins at 8:30 p.m.


- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news delivered to your mailbox every morning.

More Articles Like This