2012 Year in Review – Top stories from July to September

Man dies after assault on 100th and 100th

39 year old Calgary resident Chris Ball suffered extreme damage after being assaulted at the corner of 100th and 100th at 2:43 a.m. on July 22, and later succumbed to his injuries on August 2nd. Both Joel Christopher Marchand and Willy Ted Metcalfe face charges of assault causing bodily harm, and Marchand faces an additional charge of manslaughter. Both accused have elected for a trial by judge and jury, and a two-day preliminary inquiry is scheduled for February. In a strange turn of events, Metcalfe has been diagnosed with testicular cancer after passing out while driving and killing a jogger while on bail.


Historic dry summer marred by forest fires

Fort St. John recorded an all-time three-month record precipitation low from July through September of 47.7 millimetres, and with it came seemingly endless forest fires across northeast B.C. A forest fire just south of Taylor started off the season, and the Fort Nelson region dealt with fires all summer long. The Peace Region was often asked to conserve water, and the Kiskatinaw River was at historic lows.

Public outcry saves East Bypass walking trail, for now

After the City decommisioned a section of the walking trail along the East Bypass Road citing safety concerns, residents rallied back, protesting the decision. The uproar also brought up whether the placement of the Dangerous Goods Route through the city is appropriate. A road safety audit has been issued for the section, which has had its speed limit reduced to 50 kilometres an hour, and the City is looking at renaming the bypass road.

Bo Hedges leads Team Canada to Paralympic gold

Wonowon-born Paralympic wheelchair basketball player Bo Hedges and Team Canada went undefeated to win the gold medal at the 2012 Paralympics. Hedges and his medal came back to Fort St. John for a large community celebration.

Historic Alaska Hotel burns down

In the early evening of September 14, Dawson Creek residents noticed flames coming out of the famous Alaska Hotel and within hours it had been burnt to the ground. The Fire Department says it may have been started by a burning cigarette on the wooden deck at the back of the bar. Brass Scissors hair salon was destroyed as well, and has since relocated.