JDA Kings double up on Huskies to take series lead

Yesterday’s game was also the first time in the series that the JDA Kings managed to out-shoot the Huskies, 42-31.

Just like games one and two, it was the JDA Kings who struck first, and Tuesday, it only took Daniel Bishop 29 seconds to find the back of the net, scoring off a nice give-and-go play with Nolan Trudeau.


The lead was doubled on the power-play 12:19 into the first, as Joel Wamsteeker fired a perfectly placed shot off the rush in the left side of the net from the right of starting Huskies goaltender, Travis McLean.

With the lead 2-0, and time ticking away in the first, Fort St. John defenceman Taylor Greatrex cut the JDA Kings' lead in half, firing a perfectly placed shot high over the short side of Grande Prairie netminder Sky Buller, concluding the first period with the Huskies trailing 2-1.

The second period was where Grande Prairie did the majority of their damage on the scoreboard, but not before the Huskies tied the game at 2-2, courtesy of a Jamie Watson wrist shot from the slot that beat Buller five-hole just 1:52 into the second.

However, Grande Prairie reclaimed the lead 3:47 later, as Nolan Trudeau scored his first of two for the evening.

Following the go-ahead goal, a costly high sticking penalty granted Grande Prairie a four minute major penalty, which they used to perfection to further their game three lead. JDA Kings captain Devin Bell scored just eight seconds into the man-advantage, bringing the scoreboard to read 4-2 for the hometown JDA Kings. The four became a five on that same four minute major power-play, as Nolan Trudeau scored his second of the period, providing the home team a comfortable 5-2 lead.

Trudeau went on to finish the tilt with a game high four points, registering two goals and two assists.

As the second period wound down, a jolt of life was reinserted back into the Huskies spirits, as Robbie Sidhu, all alone in the high slot, received a nice pass from Shawn Holliday, and sniped a wrist-shot high glove side on Buller, cutting the score to 5-3.

Unfortunately, there was no third period magic, as Grande Prairie scored the lone goal of the final frame, securing themselves a 6-3 victory to now lead the second round series two games to one.

It was an especially sour ending to game three, as the Huskies leading goal scorers, Robbie Sidhu and Cayle Bell, left the ice prematurely after Sidhu took a hard knee-on-knee hit, while Bell was struck with the puck in his mouth, leaving the ice with blood trickling from his lip.

Special teams were a major focal point in this game three, as the Huskies went 0-for-7 with the man advantage, while Grande Prairie scored three times on eight power-plays.

The ever-important game four hits the ice of the North Peace Arena tomorrow, Thursday, March 7, with the Huskies looking to once again even the series.

A win for the JDA Kings would result in them taking a commanding 3-1 series lead, making the remainder of the series a must win for the Huskies.

Game four hits the North Peace Arena at 8 p.m.