Their bodies were found on an isolated road 32 kilometres south of Chetwynd. They had been last seen hitchhiking near Dawson Creek, and none of their personal items have since been recovered.
North District Media Relations Officer Constable Lesley Smith says their murder files remain open and are seeking new information about the case.
“Chetwynd RCMP and the North District Major Crime Unit continue to investigate the murder of Bernd and Andrea,” she says. “The person responsible for their murder is still at large and police are making every effort to bring justice to this heinous crime.”
When the investigation first started, a suspect and vehicle were proven to have a connection to the case. A male driving a 1960’s Chevrolet pick up bought gas on October 4th and 5th, 1983 in Prince George, Quesnel, McLeese Lake, Lac La Hache and 100 Mile House. The driver was described as Caucasian, approximately 40 years old, 5 feet 9 inches tall, 190 pounds, with straight collar-length brown hair and a medium to dark complexion. He reportedly walked with slumped shoulders and wore a long-sleeved green shirt, possibly the same color pants or blue jeans, a dark coloured hunter-style cap with fold-up ear flaps and a vest.
Anyone with information about missing property listed below, the suspect or suspect vehicle is asked to contact the Chetwynd RCMP at 250-788-9221 or call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477.
Property belonging to Bernd Goericke:
- German passport No. D3900872.
- German drivers licence No. 146777.
- International drivers licence No. 2151383.
- “LOWE” back-pack, green in color with black bottom.
- (Has hole 10 cm from bottom with an “Eidelweiss” flower patch.)
- Blue nylon mummy type sleeping bag .
- Green Army type jacket with zipper.
- Pocket type German/English dictionary.
- Small circular propane type camping stove.
- Daily diary written in German.
- Orange cotton jacket with pile exterior.
- White T-shirt with printing “Snowden mouldings for better penetration, the current axe”.
- Brown guitar, make unknown, contained in a brown vinyl type bag.
- Pair of hiking boots, make unknown.
- Igloo type green coloured tent with exterior frame.
Property belonging to Andrea Scherps:
- German passport No. S4114020.
- I.D. card No. 04367598.
- German drivers licence No. 66177.
- International drivers licence No. 3783.
- Blue “LOWE” back-pack.
- Blue nylon mummy type sleeping bag.
- Canon AEl camera with lens ser. 1330139.
- Ladies brown leather purse.
- Sleeping bag liner made of old linen sheets sewn together, white with pale red, green and blue stripes.
- Ladies digital watch, make unknown.
- Blue cotton jacket with pile exterior.
- Pair of red canvas shoes.
- Pair of brown leather shoes.
- Pair of hiking boots.
- Pair of roman type sandals.
- Blue jeans.
- Red short sleeved dress with brass rivets.
- Necklace and Oval broach (1 cm) engraved with leaves.
- Black and purple cotton skirt with silver sparkles
- white and green tank top