“The B.C. Liberals’ failure to get a deal with teachers escalated into an unprecedented disruption and Premier Clark should not treat that money as a windfall,” New Democrat education critic, Rob Fleming said. “Those are parents’ tax dollars and should go back into helping children in classrooms.
Fleming goes on to say that the Liberal government has only committed to returning 20 per cent of the funds to pubic education.
“One hundred per cent of this money should be going back into public education,” Fleming said. “It’s unacceptable that the Liberals are already scheming up ways to spend it while the dispute goes unresolved.”
In a press release, the New Democrats note Finance Minister Mike de Jong’s recent comment that raised the prospect of schools remaining behind picket lines until October.
The New Democrats’ comments went on to say the B.C. Supreme Court found in January of 2014 that the Liberals previously used confrontation and provocation as a bad faith bargaining tactic to deliberately provoke a strike in 2012. This year, the government oversaw more than 500,000 kids losing more than 2 weeks of instruction that “caused chaos for families and students across the province.”
“We want to see kids back in classrooms on September 2, Fleming said. “And we want to see that the money earmarked for public education goes to public education, where it is desperately needed by students and their teachers.”