Fort St. John fire fighters tended to a gas leak yesterday on 96 Avenue from 100 Street to 102 Street. The leak was caused by construction activity in an alley in the area.
Fire Chief Fred Burrows said the gas line in this situation was older, and as a result it may not have been identified before it was struck. He stated older drawings of areas may not be as accurate as new drawings when it comes to identifying old and/or dormant gas lines.
As for why this year has seemed to present more gas leaks than years prior, Burrows attributed it to simply being a busy year for construction.
The leak was minor in nature, however BC Hydro crews were on stand by as the leak was near a hydro source.
There was no need for any evacuations as a result of the leak.