With construction now underway on the Site C Dam project, Hydro is releasing weekly construction schedules. In the next two weeks, clearing work will continue, preparation for worker accommodation will continue and the production of riprap will start. See the full list provided by B.C. Hydro below.
SITE C CONSTRUCTION SCHEDULE: AUGUST 31 – SEPTEMBER 13
The following construction activities are scheduled to occur during the week of August 31, and will continue through to the end of the week of September 7:
- The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s (MoTI) contractor for the public road improvements will continue work on 240 Road, 269 Road and Old Fort Road.
- At the dam site, the worker accommodation contractor will continue site preparation for the worker accommodation camp. The set-up of the temporary camp will continue.
- Clearing, vegetation removal, excavation and road construction will continue on the north bank of the dam site.
- The production of riprap will continue within the existing MoTI Wuthrich Quarry.
- Selective clearing will continue on the south bank of the dam site around access roads to prepare the area for bridge construction and a temporary substation that will be installed near Septimus Rail Siding.
- Work will occur to construct and upgrade the south bank access roads.
- Beginning in September, a new 25 kV distribution line will be installed as part of an existing distribution line that runs along public roads, including Old Fort Road, 85th Avenue, 81st Avenue, 240 Road and 269 Road. As part of this work, clearing will occur along the public roads in August and September.
Please note that all activities listed in this construction bulletin are based on the latest information in our construction plan and are subject to change.
WHAT TO EXPECT
While this work takes place, local area residents can expect the following:
- There will be additional truck traffic in the area as construction crews mobilize to the Site C dam site and logging trucks remove timber. This will include increased industrial traffic on the resource roads from Chetwynd leading to the construction site on the south bank of the dam site.
- While road improvements are made to 240 Road, 269 Road and Old Fort Road, motorists can expect to encounter traffic control personnel, minor traffic delays and single-lane alternating traffic.
- Depending on the forest fire ratings in the area, early morning and/or night shifts may be scheduled, in addition to shifts on the weekends.
- Some noise and dust may result in the vicinity of the dam site as a result of the scheduled construction activities.
You can also learn more at www.sitecproject.com