MONTREAL — A man sought by Toronto police on a second-degree murder charge after a 2012 “gas-and-dash” incident was arrested in Montreal on Thursday.
Max Tutiven, 42, surrendered as police waited for a warrant to enter a building where he was holed up.
Montreal police spokesman Andre Leclerc said there was a Canada-wide arrest warrant for the man on the murder charge.
Earlier this week, Toronto police announced a $25,000 reward for information leading to Tutiven’s arrest.
He was wanted on the second-degree murder charge in the death of a gas station employee in September 2012.
Tutiven was accused of striking 44-year-old Jayesh Prajapati with an SUV while leaving the station after failing to pay for gas.
“Investigators had the information that he may be in a home in the east end,” Leclerc said.
“They had a request for a warrant to enter the building and before they received the warrant, the man gave himself up.”
Tutiven was not immediately returned to Toronto because he was also wanted in connection with incidents in Montreal dating back to October 2007.
He appeared in court on Thursday to face the charges, which included obstruction of justice and possession of stolen goods.
His lawyer, Yann Trignac, told The Canadian Press he pleaded not guilty in 2011 and eventually did not turn up for his trial in December 2012.
Tutiven will return to court on Friday morning.
“It was obviously a bit of a shock for him (the arrest) but he’s rather optimistic,” Trignac said.
Peter Rakobowchuk, The Canadian Press