Huskies drop 5-1 decision to Fairview

Must Read

Smoky Skies Bulletin issued Friday for Peace River South

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - Environment Canada has issued another Smoky Skies Bulletin for Peace River South. According to Environment...

Three new cases of COVID-19 identified in Northern Health Region

VICTORIA, B.C. – Three new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed on Friday, bringing the total in the Northern Health...

Economic recovery plan has “next to nothing” for British Columbians, says Wilkinson

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The Provincial Government released its COVID-19 economic recovery plan on Thursday, and B.C. Liberal...

After the opening period between the Fort St. John Huskies and Fairview Flyers it appeared as though those in attendance were in store of a great night of hockey. Unfortunately for the home town fans the Huskies weren’t able to build off of a solid first period and wound up losing 5-1 after various miscues and penalty trouble.

After the opening 20 minutes the game was tied at one with the Huskies enjoying a healthy edge in shots at 12-6. They’d only manage 11 shots the rest of the game.

Head coach Gary Alexander said the physical tone established early in the game didn’t carry over into the final 40 minutes and that coupled with penalties sealed the Huskies fate.

- Advertisement -

“We came up with a few penalties that cost us some momentum and then we kind of gave up on overpowering them. We didn’t take the game to them anymore after that first period so they were allowed to pretty much do whatever they wanted out there. We weren’t physical enough and we weren’t hungry enough,” he said.

Despite not being as physical as he would have liked, Alexander did say the desire to work hard was there in the game from his club but when playing the league’s top team it just want enough considering how the game unfolded.

“They just didn’t physically take the game to them after the first. They worked hard, don’t get me wrong. I thought the effort was there but they just physically backed off. They got a couple of goals and we got frustrated and took some silly penalties. Some of them were a little bit soft but you’ve got to take that in stride and keep on trucking and we didn’t do that. We didn’t persevere.”

Scoring for the Huskies was Cayle Bell.

Next up for the team is two games on Friday and Saturday against Beaverlodge and Sexsmith respectively.

- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news delivered to your mailbox every morning.

More Articles Like This