Progress Energy taking fracking-caused quake ‘very seriously’

Must Read

Phoenix Volunteer Club bringing early Christmas to 6-year-old Natalie Small and Family

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C - The Phoenix Volunteer Club will be doing an early Christmas for Natalie...

Farmers itching to get harvest started following wet conditions

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - Following a wet growing season, farmers around Fort St. John and across the Peace...

Courts can ‘no longer ignore’ First Nations laws, Supreme Court hears in carbon tax case

Several First Nations asked the Supreme Court of Canada on Wednesday to look beyond intergovernmental clashes over...

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The B.C. Oil and Gas Commission has confirmed fracking activity in the Fort St. John area earlier this year caused the largest earthquake linked to date to the oil and gas industry.

Ken Paulson is the OGC Chief Operating Officer.

- Advertisement -

In this case, the quake occurred on Aug. 17 about 114 kilometres from Fort St. John and Progress Energy paused its operations after it struck.

Progress also held the previous record for the largest known fracking-caused BC quake, which occurred last year and registered a 4.4 magnitude — as opposed to 4.6, the new record.

Now owned by Malaysia’s Petronas, Progress would supply gas from this area to the proposed Pacific Northwest LNG terminal, and Mr. Paulson was asked how this might impact the fledging B.C. LNG industry.

Progress is listed online as the largest holder of contiguous land in the world-class North Montney play, and the website says currently over 13,000 drilling locations have been identified in the area with about 215 wells drilled.

A statement from the company says it takes this incident very seriously and also notes it has 17 monitoring stations in its operating area to accurately detect seismic activity.

- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM


Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news delivered to your mailbox every morning.

More Articles Like This