Dog attack victim’s condition improving in Edmonton hospital

Must Read

School Distrct 60 in good financial standing despite COVID-19 pandemic

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The School District 60 Board of Trustees were presented with the Financial Overview for...

Northern Health Region sees seven new cases of COVID-19

VICTORIA, B.C. – Seven new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed on Wednesday, bringing the total in the Northern Health...

City celebrates National Tree Day with planting of apple trees

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The City of Fort St. John marked National Tree Day, on Wednesday, with the...

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — A Fort St. John man who was mauled by two dogs on Christmas Day is ‘recovering well,’ following his sixth surgery last Tuesday.

“They took the dressings off on Monday, and he’s doing really well and healing very well,” his daughter, Sheryl Elgie, told Energetic City.

Robin Elgie has been in the University of Alberta Hospital in Edmonton since late December, so doctors could perform multiple surgeries and salvage what was left of his arms and hands.

- Advertisement -

Doctors took muscle tissue and blood vessels from his abdomen and his thigh, into his arms, as well as skin grafting. Sheryl says, following the surgery, there was blood flow to his hands, a crucial part of his recovery.

“There would be no movement in his hands if they couldn’t regain that circulation,” she says. “Fortunately, the blood vessels took, and the skin grafting did work.”

She says there’s no way they can tell how many more surgeries her father needs, but all she knows is that he will be in hospital for a while longer. Living in Prince George, she has been driving to Edmonton to visit him — and she actually plans on heading up to visit him again very soon.

Though she says he is ‘very positive and optimistic,’ there have been difficult periods for him during recovery.

Robin, who works as a mechanic and heavy duty equipment operator, keeping a fairly active and mobile lifestyle — and Sheryl said she fears this incident could compromise that.

“There’s other concerns he won’t be able to function in his normal, everyday life like he would have been able to before. … He’s very active, he’s always puttering around and working on people’s vehicles,” she said. “He’s never been the type of man to just sit around.”

Lee, Robin’s partner, hasn’t been after to travel to see him in hospital yet, as she recovers from her own physical and emotional wounds following the attack.


Sheryl expressed her thanks to family, friends, and staff at the University of Alberta hospital for their help during this time.

- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM

Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news delivered to your mailbox every morning.

More Articles Like This