VANCOUVER, B.C. — Protesters of Site C in Vancouver have initiated a hunger strike after the B.C. Supreme Court approved BC Hydro’s application for an injunction against protesters at the Rocky Mountain Fort camp.
Tamo Campos says the protesters will occupy the space outside of BC Hydro’s downtown Vancouver office, and practice a hunger strike from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.
“This hunger strike is also symbolizing how this government is literally starving future generations by flooding thousands of acres of grade 1 and 2 farmland that could feed approximately a million people,” he said.
Earlier this week, BC Supreme Court granted an injunction against protesters at the Rocky Mountain Fort camp, at the request of BC Hydro. The camp was dismantled on Tuesday, and protesters are removing any remaining structures in the days that follow.
Support Site C Hunger Strike! Tamo Campos’ opening remarks and call out for support #bchydro #stopsitec #starving2survive #resistance #honourthetreaties
Posted by Tamo Campos on Thursday, March 3, 2016
“We would never think of flooding the Fraser valley, but that is exactly what we’re doing right now in flooding the bread basket of the north in the Peace Valley.”
BC Hydro spokesperson Dave Conway has said that the power utility respects the right of all individuals to express their opinions about the Site C project peacefully and in a lawful manner.