CHARLIE LAKE, B.C. – A blue-green algae has been found at Charlie Lake.
Blue – green algae can cause sickness such as diarrhea, stomach cramps, skin and eye irritation.
Residents are being asked by Northern Health to follow the following precautions:
- Follow the advisories of your local Government, local Health Authority, and Ministers.
- Never drink untreated water from lakes, ponds, or wetlands. Boiling water with blue-green algae does not kill it.
- Never wade, swim, or bathe in water with visible blooms.
- Never cook, wash dishes, or do laundry in water heavily contaminated with blue-green algae.
- Never let pets in water with blue-green algae. Provide them with other clean water to drink.
If you are experiencing illness after coming in contact with contaminated water, seek medical help.
For more information contact your local health unit and ask to speak to the Environmental Health Officer.