Bantam Flyers get 3 out of 4 possible points in two game home stand

Must Read

RCMP looking for missing person from Blueberry River First Nation

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The Fort St. John RCMP are looking for help to find 36-year-old...

Fort Neslon Forestry Partnership means community reinvestment

FORT NELSON, B.C. - On June 29, it was announced that a partnership between Fort Nelson First Nation and...

25 new cases of COVID-19 confirmed in BC, one new death added

VICTORIA, B.C. – 25 new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed across the province, bringing British Columbia’s total to 3,053,...

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The Fort St. John Northern Metalic Bantam Flyers got a win and a tie hosting the Parkland Athletic Club Broncos over the weekend.

After a scoreless first in their first game on Saturday, Nathan Brownlee opened the scoring for the Flyers with a breakaway less than four minutes into the second period. John Herrington added a second goal less than two minutes later assisted by Brownlee on the power play to give the Flyers a two goal lead. The PAC Broncos responded with a pair of goals to tie it up at 2 apiece with just over 90 seconds remaining in the second.  The two teams battled throughout the rest of the game trading posts and chances, but the game ended in a 2-2 tie, with the Flyers outshooting the Broncos 41-29.

On Sunday morning, it was Brownlee once again opening the scoring assisted by Owen Floriant just 4:30 into the game. The Flyers came out guns blazing in the second period, scoring four goals. James Kitney made it 2-1 unassisted just two and a half minutes into the second. Team captain John Herrington scored a pair of unassisted goals in the first half of the frame: one on the powerplay and the other on the penalty kill. PAC scored their first goal with 3:06 left in the period, before Wyatt Milner answered right back with a powerplay goal assisted by Devin Minard.

- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM

In the third it looked like the Flyers would cruise to an easy victory, but the Broncos had other ideas. A major head contact penalty, along with another minor holding penalty put the Flyers down by 2 bodies on the ice midway through the third, and the Broncos scored a pair of powerplay goals of their own. The Bronco added a third goal to get within 1 at the 6:33 mark. The last half dozen minutes were exciting as the Flyers exorcised the demons of previous third period collapses, holding on for the 5-4 victory.

Coach Craig Brownlee said that the PAC Broncos were an equally fast-skating team as the Flyers, which lead to many exciting chances throughout the game for both teams. The Northern Metalic Flyers are back in action next Sunday, when they head to Grande Prairie to take on the Athletic Club Bantam squad at 12:30 p.m.

With files submitted by Craig Brownlee

More Articles Like This