DAWSON CREEK, B.C. – The Dawson Creek Fire Department is reminding residents to have their chimneys checked annually after a chimney fire caused damage to a home in the Bear Mountain area.
The Fire Department says the fire occurred early Tuesday afternoon. Dawson Creek Deputy Fire Chief Bob Fulton said that a total of 7 firefighters and three pieces of equipment were able to contain the fire to a small area of the roof.
The Fire Department is reminding homeowners with wood-burning fireplaces and appliances to have their chimneys cleaned annually, or more frequently if required. Chimneys may also need to have their flue liners checked for cracks which may allow creosote to bleed through to the outside of the chimney.