PRINCE GEORGE, B.C. — The BC Wildfire Service says that Category 2 and Category 3 open fires will be prohibited in the Prince George Fire Centre as of noon today.
Fire Information Officer Amanda Reynolds says the ban is in place to help prevent human-caused wildfires and protect public safety.
Anyone currently conducting a Category 2 or Category 3 open burn anywhere in the Prince George Fire Centre must extinguish their burns by the implementation of the ban at noon today. The prohibition will remain in effect until Sept. 30, or until the public is otherwise notified.
In addition to Category 2 and 3 open fires, the ban also prohibits:
- the burning of any waste, slash or other materials
- Stubble or grass fires of any size over any area
- The use of burning barrels or burning cages of any size or description
- The use of sky lanterns, tiki torches or fireworks
- The use of stoves and other portable campfire apparatuses that are not CSA-approved or ULC-approved
To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone.