Fort St. John man acquitted of terrorism charges suing provincial and federal governments

Must Read

Smoky Skies Bulletin issued Friday for Peace River South

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - Environment Canada has issued another Smoky Skies Bulletin for Peace River South. According to Environment...

Three new cases of COVID-19 identified in Northern Health Region

VICTORIA, B.C. – Three new cases of COVID-19 were confirmed on Friday, bringing the total in the Northern Health...

Economic recovery plan has “next to nothing” for British Columbians, says Wilkinson

FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. - The Provincial Government released its COVID-19 economic recovery plan on Thursday, and B.C. Liberal...

VANCOUVER, B.C. — Othman Ayed Hamdan, who was acquitted of terrorism-related charges for posts he made on social media last year, is suing both the provincial and federal governments for when he argues is a violation of his charter rights.

According to the Canadian Press, Hamdan was arrested in Fort St. John in the summer of 2015 and charged with four terror-related offences for 85 Facebook posts in which he supported some actions of Islamic State militants and celebrated “lone wolf” terrorists. A B.C. Supreme Court judge ruled last year that Hamdan’s comments might have been offensive, but they didn’t constitute inciting terrorism.

The 35-year-old Jordanian national remains incarcerated pending an immigration review. In his notice of civil claim, Hamdan argues that the only reason he is incarcerated is to stop him from accessing a computer and voicing his opinions, which he argues is a violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

- Advertisement -

He says both the provincial and federal governments prosecuted him despite evidence supporting his guilt, chose to ignore evidence that supported his innocence, and caused him the loss of his liberty and reputation.

Neither government has filed a statement of defence, and none of the allegations have been proven in Court.

Story courtesy The Canadian Press: http://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/canada-news-pmn/b-c-man-acquitted-of-terror-charges-sues-provincial-federal-governments

- Advertisement -

Community Interviews with Moose FM


Subscribe to our newsletter

Get the latest news delivered to your mailbox every morning.

More Articles Like This