SAN FRANCISCO — A California prosecutor said Monday he has filed murder charges that could lead to the death penalty for three young transients accused of gunning down a backpacker from Quebec and a yoga instructor walking his dog.
The three arrived in California on Monday evening and were taken to Marin County jail, the Marin County Sheriff's Office said. They were arrested last week in Oregon.
Marin County District Attorney Ed Berberian said each suspect is charged with two counts of murder with special circumstances, including lying in wait. The suspects are 24-year-old Sean Michael Angold, 23-year-old Morrison Haze Lampley and 18-year-old Lila Scott Alligood.
An arraignment hearing for the three suspects has been set for Wednesday, authorities said. It's unclear if they have retained lawyers.
The body of 23-year-old Audrey Carey was discovered in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park the morning of Oct. 3. She was shot once in the head, police said.
Investigators believe Carey was camping in the park, which was hosting a free, three-day bluegrass festival.
Tantric yoga instructor Steve Carter, 67, was found dead two days later along a popular hiking trail in Marin County, 20 miles (32
San Francisco Police Commander Toney Chaplin said the same gun was used in both killings.
Authorities found the weapon when they arrested the suspects Wednesday outside a Portland, Oregon, soup kitchen, he said. The three also were found in possession of Carter's car and some of Carey's camping gear.
Chaplin said the gun was reported stolen from an unlocked car parked in San Francisco's Fisherman's Wharf
The Marin County district attorney added a special circumstance of multiple killings to each of the transient's murder charges, enabling him to prosecute both shooting deaths in one trial.
"We will be monitoring the prosecution and will be
Carey had just left Quebec to go backpacking in the U.S. and Europe when she was killed.
Carter lived near the hiking trail where he was shot and drove there to walk his dog. He was living with friends while caring for his wife, who has cancer.
— With files from The Associated Press
Paul Elias, The Associated Press
MONTREAL — The foundations of an 18th-century village discovered on the future site of a major highway interchange in Montreal will not be preserved, provincial and municipal officials confirmed today, despite the calls of some local groups to save the site.
Montreal Mayor Denis Coderre, Quebec Transport Minister Robert Poeti and Culture Minister Helene David held a Sunday news conference to announce a working committee to study and preserve the 150 boxes of artifacts taken from the site, which was once the location of one of the province's first tanneries.
Archeologists unearthed the ruins of the former village earlier this summer. Known as "Tannery Village," it consisted of several homes and businesses linked to leather processing and the fur trade. Artifacts recovered from the site thus far include shoes and bits of leather, tools and other household items dating back to the late 18th century.
Benoit Dorais, mayor of the Sud-Ouest borough where the site is located, says that the village's origins go back a century earlier, making it one of the first settlements outside city walls and an important piece of Montreal's industrial heritage.
"It was the foundation of our neighbourhood, now called St-Henri, and over the decades and centuries that followed, it was the urbanization of Montreal that started there," he said.
Dorais is organizing a Monday night candlelight vigil to encourage the municipal and provincial governments to preserve certain parts of the site that he says won't directly affect the highway interchange project.
For now, the walls and foundations of the homes and businesses on the sight are expected to be removed once the site has been fully documented.
An open letter calling for the preservation of the site last week was signed by a number of local politicians, urbanists and heritage organizations.
The site lies in the path of the rebuilding of the Turcot interchange, an important transportation artery that serves 100 million people every year, according to Poeti.
He and the archeologists working for the Ministry of Transport pointed out that Montreal's harsh winters and the site's proximity to a major construction site make it difficult to keep.
"To leave the pieces of wall that remain exposed in open air won't stand the test of time," he said. "And it's hard to do a visiting site in the middle of Turcot."
Coderre pointed out that Montreal, like most cities, is built on top of what came before, and he would have to "move the city" if no building could ever take place on historic sites.
He said the project's archeological services budget was $1.6 million, and the city and province will invest more to ensure the artifacts recovered from the site are properly preserved, analyzed and showcased.
"Are we able to find a balance between protecting our heritage and sharing knowledge, all while creating this important development which is Turcot?" he asked.
"The answer is yes. We can assure you, we have the balance between the two."
Morgan Lowrie, The Canadian Press
NEWCASTLE, England — Scotland reached the Rugby World Cup quarterfinals by beating Samoa 36-33 in a thrilling Pool B game on Saturday, denying Japan a last-gasp shot at advancing to the knockout stage for the first time.
The Scots settled after a wild first half in which they conceded three tries and their defensive line was broken at will by the Pacific Islanders, who led 26-23 at the break.
However, the Samoans couldn't keep up their dazzling play and Scotland ground them down in the forwards, allowing scrumhalf Greig Laidlaw to kick two penalties and then cross for the clinching try in the 74th minute.
A late, fourth Samoa try made for a tense last two minutes, but the party had already started among Scottish fans who crossed the border to turn St. James' Park into a sea of dark blue.
In the 2011 tournament, Scotland failed to advance from the group for the first time and players vowed to make amends four years on.
"It's a great day for Scottish rugby," said Laidlaw, who finished with 26 points. "There's more to come, we believe, from this Scotland team."
The Scots placed second in the pool, behind South Africa, and will play the winner of the Australia vs. Wales match later Saturday at Twickenham.
The Samoans played for pride in Newcastle, with their campaign effectively over after losing 26-5 to Japan last weekend. Their discipline has been poor in this tournament — and they conceded 19 penalties here — but they remained a danger because of the quality of the strike runners in their backs, and Scotland couldn't cope in a dramatic first half of end-to-end action.
"They were very good with the ball," Scotland coach Vern Cotter said. "We had anticipated they'd go to more of a Barbarian style, but it wasn't really because they were very physical — probably one of the most physical games we've had. But we stayed in there."
But indiscipline led to the demise of Manu Samoa. Scotland replied immediately to Pisi's try when winger Tommy Seymour intercepted a wild, cut-out pass from Pisi near his own posts, moments after the restart.
And Scotland fed off a string of Samoa penalties at the breakdown, with Laidlaw's kicking and John Hardie's try at the base of a rolling maul keeping Scotland to within three points at halftime. Samoa should have been much further ahead, having dominated territory and possession.
"Our strategy was pretty simple — go out there, have some fun, and bring some pride back with Samoan-rugby style," Samoa captain Kahn Fotuali'i said. "We had to muscle up, be direct and get back some enjoyment in the way we played as islanders."
The second half was completely different as both
With six minutes left, Laidlaw opted against a kick at goal and went for an attacking scrum. The bold choice paid off, as he collected the ball, dummied, and sniped over near the posts for a converted try that cut off Samoan — and Japanese — hopes.
"We came across a Samoa team we haven't seen in this World Cup," Cotter said. "They were impressive and we had to change the way weplayed. We adapted and got there in the end, so we're really really happy."
Steve Douglas, The Associated Press
CALGARY — A father and stepmother who beat, burned, punched and dragged a little girl by the hair over three days, killing her, are going to jail for a long time.
Spencer Jordan and Marie Magoon were sentenced Friday to life in prison with no chance of parole for at least 17 years for the death of six-year-old Meika Jordan in November 2011.
Justice Rosemary Nanton said words cannot describe the terrible things the couple did to the little girl.
The couple was originally charged with first-degree murder but were found guilty of second-degree murder in June after a five-week trial.
Court heard that Meika died in hospital of blunt force trauma.
During an undercover police investigation, Magoon and Jordan each admitted to abusing the child.
Jordan and Magoon told EMS that the girl had fallen down the stairs.
Kyla and Brian Woodhouse, Meika's mother and stepfather, said their victim impact statements were the final steps in a difficult emotional process that lasted years.
"It’s impossible to describe," said Brian. "We spent months and months drawing up draft after draft and throwing them out and rewording, rewriting.
"How do you ever put into words what kind of impact that has?"
"It’s kind of bittersweet, I guess," said Kyla. "These past few years we’ve always had that next date to look forward to and babysitters to plan and now it’s just kind of, 'What do we do with ourselves?'."
Kyla Woodhouse said the apologies her daughter's killers issued during Friday's proceedings came far too late.
"That’s something that should have happened four years ago. I mean, when it comes right down to it, I think it was decent of them to at least offer that to us, kind of a little bit of closure for us on our end."
"In no way do we accept it as an apology. That's nothing you can apologize for."
The Woodhouses say they're not disappointed with the outcome. They're glad the judge heard their pleas and that Meika's killers will spend a considerable time behind bars.
(CTV Calgary, CFFR)
The Canadian Press
PENTICTON, B.C. — Connor McDavid is used to being the centre of attention. His professional debut was no different.
The No. 1 pick at June's NHL draft had a goal and an assist for the Edmonton Oilers' prospects in an 8-2 thumping of their counterparts from the Vancouver Canucks in the Young Stars tournament opener for both teams on Friday night.
But it was a hit he took in the first period from former world junior teammate Jake Virtanen that had everyone talking afterwards.
Virtanen caught McDavid, a friend away from the rink, with the puck in his feet along the boards and rocked him to the ice to set the tone for what would turn into a testy affair that included numerous scrums to close out the first day of the four-team rookie showcase.
"I got hit. It was part of the game, whatever," McDavid said while trying to downplay the check. "It's a hockey game and that stuff's going to happen."
Gerry Fleming, head coach of Edmonton's AHL affiliate, is running the Oilers bench at the tournament and said the young phenom will have to get used to that type of treatment, if he isn't already.
"I'm sure that's not going to be the first time that happens, and I'm sure that's not the first time it has happened," said Fleming. "He's a good player and there's guys that are going to come at him hard."
Chants of "Let's go Oilers" rang out around the South Okanagan Events Centre early as long-suffering Edmonton fans — many of them wearing newly minted No. 97 McDavid jerseys — descended on this picturesque city of some 30,000 to catch a glimpse of their present and future.
"He did a lot of good things," said Fleming. "I know everybody thinks about his play with the puck and how dynamic his speed is, but if you really focus on his game away from the puck, he's pretty sound."
With the crowd buzzing, McDavid set up a great chance moments after the opening faceoff and picked up his first point with an assist on Darnell Nurse's power-play goal in the second period before scoring his first on a deflected shot in the third.
"It was alright," said the soft-spoken 18-year-old of his performance. "I could have played better personally, but the team did a great job and we played a very good game."
The hockey media has followed McDavid to Penticton to witness his first games in an Oilers uniform, attention the dynamic centre has become accustomed to after being branded the sport's next superstar long before he laced up his skates in the Ontario Hockey League.
"It's something I've been dealing with for a little bit now and getting more and more used to," McDavid said before the game. "I'm pretty comfortable with it ... it's a good problem to have I guess."
Edmonton fans in attendance said they're hoping McDavid is the key to turning around a team that hasn't made the playoffs since losing in the 2006 Stanley Cup final.
Oilers season-ticket holder Greg Thornhill and friend Dan Bowie travelled to Penticton on Friday morning for the weekend to see the new face of the franchise first-hand.
"I've been following the team as long as I can remember," said Thornhill. "I don't know about the saviour of the team, but I'm sure he'll be a big part of why the team will be very successful."
Added Bowie: "It's not like we ever gave up on the Oilers, but we always knew they could be so much better. There's something to look forward to and hopefully we can keep cheering past October when we're still in a playoff race."
With a pure talent like McDavid on their side, it shouldn't be long before that becomes a reality.
Follow @JClipperton_CP on Twitter
Joshua Clipperton, The Canadian Press